An Evening with Colossus - Phil Hayes
Post this page to popular social media
Everything you ever wanted to know about Colossus, but were afraid to ask ...
Colossus Rebuild Chief Engineer Phil Hayes will guide you through the workings of the first electronic computer that was used to crack Hitler's most secret messages.
- The Lorenz - what is it and how it works
- Lorenz message transmission and interception
- The first break - Col John Tiltman
- Unravelling the architecture of Lorenz - Bill Tutte and "the greatest intellectual feat of World War II"
- How some Lorenz messages were broken by hand in the Testery
- Tommy Flowers and constructing Colossus
- Bill Tutte's Double Delta statistical attack on the Lorenz cipher and what Colossus actually did
- Tony Sale and rebuilding Colossus
- Emerging research on other secret code-breaking machines at BP.
The evening will finish with a glass of wine and demonstrations of Tunny, Heath Robinson (currently being reconstructed) and Colossus.