Digital fun and games for all the family
Get Creative, Get Digital!
30th July to 28th August, every afternoon, 12 noon to 5pm
Day by Day Schedule coming soon!
Educational fun for all the family, providing Bytes sized tasters of coding, robotics, game design, virtual reality, programming, and much much more! New activities being added regularly so keep coming back to check. So far we have the following confirmed:
Galactic Weekend - 30th & 31st July
- Come face to face with a host of Star Wars characters over the 30th & 31st July. Enjoy the chance to grab a photo or chat to the R2 Builders Club who will be bringing R2 D2 with them.
- Create your favourite Star Wars from Lego
Secrets of the Time Lord - 6th August
- Simon Guerrier and Dr Marek Kukula - authors of The Scientific Secrets of Doctor Who - explore the Doctor's tricky relationship with computers.
- BAFTA award winner Mike Tucker is the director of The Model Unit, a visual effects company providing miniature effects for film and TV. With a long association with 'Doctor Who', Mike will be demonstrating some of the techniques used in the making of the series - both classic and new.
The Scientific Secrets of Doctor Who
Mike Tucker's Visual Effects Talk
- Create your own OiDroid and have it created as part of the next series of droids! The lucky winner will also have their droid added to a 30-second animation which will be used by OiDroid and shared across the globe!
- Win prizes for the best Lego created character from the world of Star Wars and video games
- More prizes to be annouced.
- Book into one of the many workshops hosted by Tablet Academy. They will be running Lego, animation and Minecraft workshops
- Learn to code on one of our BBC Micro's using a range of programming books which will take your parents down memory lane
- Build an adventure with R2, BB8 or Anna & Elsa as you learn how to code with Blocks or Python
- Take part in our F1 in Schools Challenge
- See OhBot, the moving, talking robot head and have a go at programming one
- Learn the fundamentals of computing coding with Bits & Bytes
- FUZE workshop providing introductions to coding
- Sign up and take part in a week long coding challenge
- Our Museum is under threat from invaders, and Edbot is our last hope. Who is Edbot? A humanoid robot programmed using Scratch. Visitors take turns writing Scratch code to help Edbot defeat the invaders and save the Museum!
- Meet Dot & Dash from Wonder Workshop and learn to programme with him
- Discover digital art and how you can create works of art with you smart phone or tablet
- Learn about 3d printer with Ultimaker as they produce a range of items for you to take home
- CodeBug, the cute programmable wearable to teach and learn code and electronics
- pi-top workshops – Learn how to code, make hardware, and 3D print with their immersive Raspberry Pi game
- Enjoy a insightful talk from the Royal Air Force about what they do and how they do it. With a blend of personal narrative from Team members, all of whom have operational experience, and highly engaging and dramatic video footage, depicting the modern RAF’s contribution to airpower, the defence of the UK and giving the nation choice in times of global crisis.
- Kontakte: Music & Computers. Enjoy an insight from award winning film composers Patrick Jonsson and Rupert Cross on how they use computers to produce music for the films they work on and how computers are changing the way we listen to music. Both have worked on various Hollywood films such as Thor, Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Brave to name a few.
- Catapult will be bringing their driverless pod and hosting a talk on the future of driverless vehicles.
Video Games, Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality
- Let your parents go down memory lane and see the games they played when they were kids
- Explore the future of virtual reality with Oculus Rift and ROVR's Wizdish, adding a whole new element to virtual reality
- Find out how augmented reality is playing a part in our lives and enhancing our experiences
- Create your favourite video game characters from Lego.
and lots more