Digital fun and games for all the family
Get Creative, Get Digital!
27-30 October, 12 noon to 5pm
Educational fun for all the family with Bytes sized tasters in areas such as coding, robotics, virtual reality, programming, and much much more! New activities being added regularly so keep coming back to check.
During our festival there will be:
23rd October - World War II Day
Come meet the Home Guard and sign up to protect the museum from invaders as you main the gun turret and try on uniforms. Watch as our team make contact with the French resistance using World War II technology. Take a look at some of the spy technology from The Second World War which will be on display. Enjoy the military vehicles on display
Science Fiction to Science Fact - 29th & 30th October
- Come meet characters from Star Wars, as the UK Garrison and R2 Builders Club take over the museum on the 29th October
- Come along and meet the Daleks and their friends - and enemies! on the 30 October
- Discover 3d microscopes and come up close with rocks from the moon and meteors from space.
- Visit our queen of Halloween, the WITCH, the world's oldest working computer both days and try your hand at create a augmented reality pumpkin.
Spooky stories for space age kids - 29th October
Scary stories have been told for generations, but they are all about things that happened long ago. Join Tom the Tale Teller to hear stories that will make you think twice about booting up your laptop, switching on your tablet or playing with your new fangled toy. From the nationally renown storyteller, Tom the Tale Teller, comes a series of spooky stories all with technology at their heart. Traditional scares with a modern twist.
During the days we will also have
- Pi-Top – Learn how to code, make hardware, and 3D print with their immersive Raspberry Pi game
- See and play with robots
- Build & program your own Lego robot
- See OhBot, the moving, talking robot head and have a go at programming one
- Play retro games from the past decades
- The latest in VR: Oculus Rift combined with a LEAP controller and ROVR
- Digital art and how you can create art with your smart phone or tablet
- Take on our heritage quiz and see if you can identify the chronological order of the computing items
- Learn about the pioneering women in computing with our gallery and quiz
and lots more